"MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries" allows players to play for fortune, not honor, as they become leaders of a fledgling mercenary company in the latest standalone installment of the critically acclaimed MechWarrior action-simulator franchise. Players control 100 ton 'Mechs while leading up to eight hired guns into the heat of battle in the quest for the all-mighty C-Bill.
- New Missions and 'Mechs - "MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries" includes more than 40 brand new missions and more than 35 'Mechs. Players use the star system map to take missions anywhere in the Inner Sphere on a quest to lead their mercenary group to wealth and prestige. Players' successes and failures during missions will determine the availability of future assignments.
- Fight alongside legends - Players can be sponsored by the most recognizable mercenary groups in BattleTech history, including: Wolf's Dragoons, Northwind Highlanders, the Kell Hounds or the Gray Death Legion. Each mercenary group offers unique histories and bonuses.
- Lead more MechWarriors into battle - For the first time in franchise history, players can command a secondary lance, managing an additional four 'Mechs under their command for strategic deployment in missions.
- Fight at the Coliseum - Players can take time to enter into the Solaris VII tournaments in Steiner arena to win the mantle of champion, a title that will earn prestige, power, and ultimately, more C-Bills.
- Improved Multi-player Functions - "MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries" introduces the concept of cold-hard C-bills to multiplayer game play, allowing players to become affiliated with their favorite mercenary group to win C-Bills for improved resources during gameplay.